When met with an obstacle that seems impossible to overcome, the first thing that comes to mind is usually to run off and give up. Right? I know that’s crossed my mind in the past and I’ve seen it as the initial go-to choice for my boys at various times. I mean, that seems to be the easiest solution, so why not? The problem is that, by doing so, you are throwing away the chance to see the potential you have become the success you deserve. In order to achieve success, one must work hard and be patient. Failure shouldn’t be the end of a dream, but rather a part of the learning process. Needless to say, I think we can all agree that these are not always the easiest lessons to learn.
A few weeks ago, I had the amazing privilege of sitting in on a phone interview with Siena Agudong, a charismatic young actress with a bright future ahead of her. Siena is known for her roles on such TV series as Nickelodeon’s Nicky, Ricky, Dicky and Dawn and Star Falls.
The focus of the phone conversation was Siena’s part in the newly released DVD / Blu-ray Alex & Me. The movie challenges our youth to look past their insecurities, find their true passion and pursue their dreams to the fullest. It encourages them to step out from behind the shadows of someone else’s gifts or strengths and sharpen their own skills.
Teenager Reagan Willis (Agudong) has one dream – to play soccer like her hero, Alex Morgan. Her bedroom is a shrine to all things Alex, including a life-size poster of the Olympic gold medalist. Yet in the Willis house, Reagan lives in the shadow of her prep football superstar brother, Logan. When Reagan fails to make the cut of the premiere local soccer club team and is humiliated by her rival Claire, she’s certain her ship has sailed. But after accidentally hitting her head, Reagan’s poster of Alex Morgan suddenly comes to life and everything changes!
~ Siena Agudong ~
When asked what she hoped today’s youth would take away from the Alex & Me movie, Siena’s answer was crystal clear. She sees this film as a confidence booster, an opportunity to see that determination, hard work and goal setting produce results. Siena wants her peers to believe they are capable of achieving anything. She wants them to be encouraged to work as hard as they can toward their own personal goals and dreams (something she grew up being encouraged to do herself) and ultimately see the results of that dedication come to fruition.
As the mom of one tween and two teen boys, I can get behind a movie that delivers a positive message about self confidence and the dedication it takes to developing one’s passion and pursuing it to the fullest. We’ve watched our boys go through tough times, stand in the shadows of others and want to give up on things they enjoy. However, as parents, my husband and I have always desired to see all three of our boys identify their own individual potential and watch themselves grow in it. Over the years, we have seen them learn to push past the barriers that have held them back and delight in finding out what they truly can achieve once they put their mind to it.
I loved this. During the interview, Siena shared a great piece of advice that I have held onto it since that conversation. I just cannot get it out of my head. Using her faith as a part of the foundation for her confidence, she said to, “Trust the process, enjoy life and be yourself.” It may be a very simple statement, but it truly has a powerful message to convey.
~ Working with Alex Morgan ~
For this particular project, Siena had the unique opportunity to work alongside soccer superstar Alex Morgan. Alex is an Olympic Gold Medalist and FIFA Women’s World Cup champion with a penchant for goal scoring. She is a rock and a solid example of what it takes to earn success. Alex makes her movie debut in the film Alex & Me, but we all know she has been a role model for young girls for many years. Through dedication and devotion to her own craft and dreams, she has had a tremendous impact on the younger generation and inspires them to succeed in spite of obstacles and self-doubt. While I may not have daughters, I do know that my boys see the effort Alex has put forth and they aspire to be just as diligent as she has been over the years.
~ The Alex & Me Audience ~
Alex & Me has the potential to be a movie that speak volumes to the younger generation. At a time when they are still figuring out who they are, their own gifts and where they fit into the whole picture, this movie encourages them to be themselves, find their passions, go for their dreams, work hard and stay determined. They are reminded to not stand in the shadows of anyone else’s success or allow someone else’s strengths to stand in their way.
What tween or teen couldn’t use a confidence booster? Right? Sound like a movie you’d love to watch or can get behind as a parent? It’s truly a sweet family film and it’s now out on both DVD and Blu-ray. Pick up a copy and watch it with your tween and/or teens. Then have a discussion about self confidence, their dreams and goals and how you can help them achieve them.
It’s a great way to keep the conversation going!
**All photos and video clips are courtesy of Warner Bros Home Entertainment.
~ Check This Out! ~
Alex & Me Soccer Emoji Creator App:
• Create your own Soccer Emoji and share it with the world! Pick your player’s look, signature move, and fun tagline.
• Setting goals is key to success, and the sooner your kids learn that the better they’ll be prepared for life. Download the Family Goal Chart and have your kids set and mark off goals.
Want Your Own Copy of Alex & Me on Blu-ray?
Here’s an opportunity for YOU to win your own Blu-ray copy of Alex & Me!!! All you need to do is use the Soccer Emoji Creator above and leave your own emoji creation in the comments below. This giveaway runs from June 21st to June 28th (11:59 PM)! I can’t wait to see your creations!
Edited to Add: As some are having difficulties copying their emoji to the comments, please feel free to simply leave a comment below on how you think this movie may be an impact on our youth today. Your comment will be your entry. If you try the app, let me know what you think of that, too!!
🎉CONGRATULATIONS TO ANGIE R.!!🎉
A Few Important Pieces of Information:
- This giveaway runs from June 21, 2018, to June 28, 2018 (11:59 PM).
- The winner will be chosen randomly on June 29th through Rafflecopter Random Selector (which uses Random.org) and contacted via email. A reply to the winning email is required within 48 hours before a new winner is chosen. The winner’s entries will be verified and Footprints in Pixie Dust writer and owner, Tina M. Brown, is not responsible for any technical failures or for any sponsor’s inability to live up to his or her prize obligation, nor is she responsible for lost, broken, damaged or stolen prizes. The prize will be provided by the brand in exchange for the blogger’s inclusion of the above app in the post. This giveaway will have only one winner.
- The prize will be sent after July 2nd. Please allow four to six weeks for delivery.
- This giveaway is open to U.S. entrants only. Must be 18 or older to enter. If entry requirements are not met as they are listed, you will be disqualified.
- Each household is only eligible to win Alex & Me Blu-ray via blog reviews and giveaways. Only one entrant per mailing address per giveaway is allowed. If you have won the same prize on another blog, you will not be eligible to win it again. Winner is subject to eligibility verification.
- Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are in no way associated with this giveaway.
- The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- Footprints in Pixie Dust reserves the right to publish winner’s first name and last initial. Footprints in Pixie Dust also reserves the right to choose a different winner in the case that the randomly chosen winner refuses to cooperate with rules, doesn’t reply to the winning email within the 48 hour time period or does not have verifiable entries.
- Contact information for sponsor(s), if applicable, can be found in the review text via website links.
- This giveaway is subject to the laws of the state of Florida. Taxes due, if any, on prize winnings, are the sole responsibility of the winner. Void where prohibited by law.
Like what you’re reading?
If you enjoy following along with Footprints in Pixie Dust, take a moment to consider subscribing to our email list! By doing so, you will keep up to date on the latest information, latest posts and hear what’s coming before anyone else through our weekly newsletter. Interested? You can subscribe by clicking here!