I have been a fan of the creature deemed the “The Mean One” for years. Watching the original Dr. Seuss’ How The Grinch Stole Christmas with Boris Karloff narrating is still a staple every holiday season in our house. We just can’t get enough of that character!! So, when I heard there was a new version coming out with Benedict Cumberbatch playing the green one himself, my interest was piqued. However, I missed a screening and did not get the chance to see it in the theaters, so I have been eagerly awaiting Universal Pictures Home Entertainment to announce the release of Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch on digital and Blu-ray. Guess what – It’s here!!!
Disclaimer: Universal Pictures Home Entertainment provided me with a copy of Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch in exchange for my review. However, all opinions shared are mine and mine alone. This post may also contains affiliate links. Please see my Disclosure policy for more information.
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment
Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch ~ On Digital and Blu-ray
On January 22nd, Universal Pictures Home Entertainment released the digital version of Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch. It will become available on Blu-ray on February 5th!
The animated film tells the beloved Dr. Seuss’ tale about a cynical grump who determines to steal Christmas from the residents of Whoville. However, somewhere in the process, unexpected meetings and friendships trigger a transformation that enables what had been a nearly non-existent heart to triple in size and compassion.
The latest installment of this classic features Grammy Award®winner and Oscar® nominee Pharrell Williams as the narrator and Academy Award® nominee Benedict Cumberbatch (Dr. Strange, “Sherlock”) as the infamous Grinch. They are joined by other incredible voices, such as Rashida Jones (“Parks and Recreation,” The Muppets) as Donna Who, Kenan Thompson (“Saturday Night Live”) as Bricklebaum and Cameron Seely (The Greatest Showman) as Cindy-Lou Who. To round out the famous list of talent, the film also stars legendary actress Angela Lansbury (Anastasia, Beauty and the Beast) as the mayor of Whoville.
Curious as to what I thought?
As noted above, I have always been a fan of the original Boris Karloff-narrated version of the tale. There is just something about a classic. However, if I were to confess to whom my heart truly belongs, it is with the Ron Howard brainchild from 2000. While it starred one of my least favorite actors, I think it brought to life so many of the qualities Dr. Seuss may have wanted us to see in someone whose heart was just too small to let anyone in and then the dramatic transformation into someone whose heart grew three times its size.
Now, when it comes to the recent animated version of The Grinch presented by Illumination, we see something a little different. Instead of this persistently childish, obstinate, ridiculously ill-mannered recluse, we see a relatively social one who shops at a local grocery store and with whom the neighbors try to connect. We are also introduced to a new story-line that draws attention to the dedication and hard work of a mother, as well as the love and keen observation of her sweet daughter.
Would I recommend?
Yes, I actually would. While it may not be my favorite version, I did enjoy the banter and Benedict Cumberbatch’s interpretation of The Grinch. I also enjoyed the role Max played in everything, as well as the introduction of several new characters. I just loved Fred!!!. So, while it used a generous degree of creative license, it is a funny, heartwarming, clean and wholesome film. There may be a few minor rude comments, property damage and dangerous antics that do not result in visible injury. It certainly lends itself to a fun family movie night.
Watch The Grinch from the Comfort of your own home!
Things seem to be coming to digital and Blu-ray much more quickly these days!!! Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch was available on digital as of January 22nd and will be available on 4K Ultra HD, 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray and DVD on February 5th. As a treat, there are 60 minutes of bonus material!! This includes three hilarious new mini-movies featuring the Minions and Max! Take a peek at what’s inside:
BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO 4K ULTRA HD, 3D BLU-RAYTM, BLU-RAYTM AND DVD:
- Who’s Who in Who-ville (interactive map) – There are so many interesting characters that call Who-ville home that it’s hard to keep track of them all. This “Who’s Who” pop-up book uses animation to create a virtual storybook that takes us from Who-ville to Mt. Crumpit.
- “You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch” Lyric Video – Tyler, The Creator puts a modern spin on the Seussian Christmas classic.
MINI-MOVIES ON 4K ULTRA HD, 3D BLU-RAYTM, BLU-RAYTM, DVD & DIGITAL:
- Yellow is the New Black – Before they all make their big escape from prison in Despicable Me 3, a couple of lucky Minions get a taste of freedom as they break free with the help of one of their fellow human inmates.
- Dog Days of Winter – Max braves the harsh winter weather and an uncooperative Who to bring a sick Grinch his favorite hot tea.
- Santa’s Little Helpers – Fan favorites – the Minions – are back for another adventure! Having been accidentally dropped off at the North Pole, our Minion pals make the most of the situation by trying to become elves.
BONUS FEATURES ON 4K ULTRA HD, 3D BLU-RAYTM, BLU-RAYTM, DVD & DIGITAL:
- The Making of the Mini-Movies – Mini in size, but not in heart, these short films are fan favorites. From the Grinch and Max to the Minions, you’ll explore the themes of each of the mini-movies through the eyes of the filmmakers who made them.
- From Green to Screen – It takes a lot to bring grumpy green to your home screen. This inside look at the making of Illumination’s Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch features interviews and behind-the-scenes moments with the cast, filmmakers and artists whose hearts have all grown three sizes bringing this classic tale to life.
- Illuminating THE GRINCH – Using filmmaker and cast interviews, concept art and progression reels, we take a behind-the-scenes look at how the characters evolved from initial sketches to fully realized characters.
- My Earliest GRINCH Memories – The cast and filmmakers of Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch reveal their earliest memories of the grumpy green character and the enduring appeal of this Christmas curmudgeon’s journey to redemption.
- Grinchy Gadgets – From his body-size blow dryer to his moving mechanical chair, from his catapult to his dog drone-rig and more… you’ll get to explore the wondrous world of Grinch’s gadgets.
But wait there’s more!!!
- “I Am The Grinch” Lyric Video – A stylized look at Tyler, The Creator’s original song created just for the film.
- Songs From His Little Heart – Take a deep dive into the toe tapping beats of Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch. From score to specialty songs, you’ll hear from the film’s A-list musicians on what it took to create the music behind the movie.
- X-mas Around the World – Every culture practices Christmas in a slightly different way. We’ll highlight some of the more fun permutations of the holiday around the globe.
- Cindy-Lou’s Yule Log – Nothing says the holidays quite like an animated fireplace blasting fake heat from your living room television. Just in time for winter, we’ll recreate Cindy-Lou’s living room on Christmas Eve for all to enjoy.
- Production Babies – A celebration of the babies born to the filmmakers during the production of Illumination’s Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch.
- Any Who Can Draw – Hosted by an Illumination artist and head of story Mark O’Hare, you’ll see step-by-step how to draw some of your favorite characters from this beloved holiday classic; Grinch, Max and Fred!
So, if you love all things holiday-related, be sure to pick up your copy of Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch on digital (Jan 22nd) or Blu-ray (Feb 5th).
In the meantime, enjoy the trailer:
Follow Universal’s Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch:
LIKE WHAT YOU’RE READING?
If you enjoy following along with Footprints in Pixie Dust, take a moment to consider subscribing to our email list! By doing so, you will keep up to date on the latest information and latest posts. You will also hear what’s coming before anyone else through our weekly newsletter. Interested?